For Consulting Physicians
The Role of the Consulting Physician
According to the End of Life Option Act, “consulting physician” means a physician who is independent from the attending physician and who is qualified by specialty or experience to make a professional diagnosis and prognosis regarding an individual’s terminal disease.
- Should be independent of attending physician
- Will confirm terminal diagnosis
- Will confirm patient is competent as regards mental capacity and no evidence of coercion exists
- Refer for mental evaluation if necessary
- Ensure that patient has completed all necessary End of Life Option Act Forms
- Consulting Physician should not be a witness to the Patient’s Request Forms
- Consulting Physician specialty should be such that they are familiar with terminal disease process
- Consulting physician cannot benefit from estate of patient or be related by marriage or blood
Eligibility Criteria Include:
- Is a California Resident
- Is 18 years of age
- Has a terminal illness and confirmed to have 6 months or less life expectancy
- Is making an informed decision
- Has decisional capacity to make an informed decision
- Is physically and mentally capable of ingesting aid in dying medication
- Has not demonstrated undue coercion and acted of own accord
- Has submitted and signed, the witnessed written request form
Do You Still Have Questions?
We know physicians who are ready and willing to talk with you.