This month, End of Life Choices California (EOLCCA) celebrates the completion of three years of service to the people of California.
I am proud to share with you our accomplishments in 2021 and our vision for 2022.
EOLCCA volunteers worked diligently throughout 2021 to provide Californians the information and support needed to successfully navigate their legal end-of-life options. At the same time, we have been busy developing plans to expand our programs and services in 2022.
Today I am asking for your help.
Belief in our mission
Many of you have already offered your support in word or deed, and we thank you with gratitude for that support.
Because of your belief in our mission, we have been able to keep our commitment to provide educational presentations as well as services to clients and others at no charge, ensuring accessibility to all.
In 2021, our Client Volunteer Program:
- Onboarded and mentored 26 volunteers throughout the state who provide extensive phone support and client counseling, as well as bedside attendance for aid-in-dying;
- Responded to and counseled 676 individuals and their families who reached out to EOLCCA for support, information and guidance;
- Were present bedside (and even Facetime) for 8 clients who died peacefully with the support of our experienced volunteers;
- Provided 24 presentations to community-based hospices and retirement communities about end-of-life issues and medical aid in dying;
- Educated 12 physicians/pharmacies new to medical aid in dying who reached out to EOLCCA for our expertise. These medical professionals are now prepared and available to provide medical aid-in-dying services to the terminally ill.
- Tying this together is our user-friendly website, packed with information, which garnered more than 17,000 visitors in 2021 and over 1,000 followers receive our communications across various social media channels.
Expanding Our Impact
We are proud of our volunteers and of our accomplishments.
In 2022, we are committed to expanding our impact throughout the state. The majority of terminally-ill Californians still do not know about the End of Life Option Act nor about what end-of-life options are available.
This year EOLCCA will work to reach out to historically underserved communities, specifically communities of color and in rural areas. To this end we are actively seeking and recruiting multicultural volunteers to help provide end-of-life information and services to ALL Californians. Our goal this year is to expand our volunteer base while also providing educational programs in more underserved communities.
We need your support to make our work possible! Please click here to make a contribution now. Your gift at any level will help us expand our reach into communities where the need is great. Thank you for your continued commitment to our shared vision of a dignified death for all.
Judy Neall Epstein
President and Founding Director
End of Life Choices California
OUTSTANDING services for individuals. I would like to be a spokesperson for this. It takes many dynamics to understand this BEAUTIFUL service you offer.
I totally support and encourage your work. Our lives are all about the choices we make and our end of life experience should include the option of making choices as well.
I have been part of this wonderful effort almost since the beginning. I have seen the loving care with which volunteers work with individuals and family members to inform those nearing their end of life what options are available.
Since I’m 82, it is comforting to know you are here.