Client Volunteers provide the following services:
- Thoroughly explain all the different options for dying well and how to achieve them; including stopping life-preserving medical treatments, seeking palliative care, entering hospice, voluntary stopping eating and drinking with the support of hospice, palliative sedation, and medical aid in dying.
- Help people navigate through their dying process, from beginning to end. Sometimes this takes days, sometimes weeks or months: sometimes 1-2 meetings, sometimes many more.
- Advocacy and support for clients whose wishes are not being met or who are not getting adequate pain or symptom management.
- Meet with families to help facilitate discussions about the patient’s end-of-life wishes.
- Provide information and support to family members regarding the process of their loved one’s dying, what to expect and how they can best provide compassionate and helpful support.
- Provide support and reassurance to the client as he/she navigates their way through the process of accessing medical aid in dying and encouraging the client/family to advocate for themselves. We are willing also to advocate for them if necessary, such as helping the client find physicians willing to prescribe and facilitate a conversation with physicians or hospice to help clients get needed services or adequate pain control.
- We are able to bring an experienced, calm, peaceful and reassuring presence on the day of planned death, to help review instructions and provide moral support and comfort to both the client and family.
- Assist in completing or understanding advance directives.
Request Volunteer Support
Fill out this form and we will contact you soon!