There are so many inspirational quotes and phrases about Thanksgiving focusing on gratitude and thanks, one quote from Erma Bombeck stands out to me: “I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage.”
Ok, maybe not the most consequential thought, but as we at End of Life Choices California (EOLCCA) consider our work around the weighty (Thanksgiving meal pun alert!) issues surrounding death and dying, living and dying with dignity, and controlling our own fate, it’s important to remember that sometimes humor – puns, physical humor, even gallows humor – is something that can sustain us during difficult times.
Particularly during the holiday season, as our thoughts often turn to loved ones no longer with us (family, friends, Dick Clark on New Year’s Eve…), we encourage you to take a moment to recall a heart-warming and humorous memory of a loved one and appreciate the smiles and joy shared.
We are thankful for the many people associated with EOLCCA:
- the hundreds of Californians who have reached out to us this year for information, guidance, and support as they or a close friend or family member seek control and dignity at the end of their lives.
- the over 45 Client Volunteers throughout the state who are there every day to answer questions, guide people through their end-of-life journey, and even be present at their bedside as a knowledgeable and calming influence on the day of a planned death.
- the health care, hospice, and medical professionals who refer their patients and clients to us for additional information and support.
- our donors, who allow us to keep the lights on, raise awareness, and continue to provide these important services, all provided at no cost to the client.
- our board members who work hard to keep us on track and all contribute their time and talent serving on one committee or another.
The pyramid falls without the strength, compassion, and support from each of these groups.
A collective THANK YOU to all of you!
In giving thanks for what has transpired over the last year, we also turn an eye to the future. For us, that means:
- developing and offering an Advanced Training to certified Doulas from anywhere in the country on all the end-of-life options, including Medical Aid-in-Dying
- recruiting and training more volunteers to serve the increasing demand for our services in more rural and medically underserved areas of California
- expanding our speaker program to hospice staff and to the community at large
- screenings of relevant movies to provide education and information to the general public about medical aid in dying.
During this season of Thanks, we also ask you to consider Giving.
We are a small but growing organization so every donation counts and is impactful! You can make a secure online donation here or you can send a check to 153 S Sierra Ave #30, Solana Beach, CA 92075. We can also accept donations of stock (a good tax strategy if applicable to you) or from your Donor Advised Fund. We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization, Certified GuideStar Gold, EIN 83-3560210.
One final Thank You to YOU for reading!
On behalf of the Board and Staff of EOLCCA, we all wish you a peaceful and fulfilling holiday season, however you choose to observe,
EOLCCA supports a strong team of experienced volunteers throughout the state, ready to help anyone, anywhere in California free of charge with information and support regarding all end-of-life planning and choices, including aid in dying through the California End of Life Option Act. You can find comprehensive information on our user-friendly website. EOLCCA is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization and we rely on donations from individuals and foundations. To support our work, or request an educational presentation, please visit Ways to Help. Thank you!